Alton Brown has called Thermapen “The best instant-read thermometers on planet earth.” That “best” has just gotten even better.
There's a brand new, improved Thermapen and it's pretty insane – in a good way. The pre-launch announcement came just days after we received a shipment of four of the old ones. We're both geeking out about this new one.
The new Thermapen is called the Mk4.
Key Thermapen Mk4 improvements include:
1. Patented auto-rotating display. Hold the Thermapen Mk4 in either hand or any angle and the display intuitively flips right-side up. Switch hands while cooking and read the Mk4 without cocking your head.
2. Intelligent backlight. The Mk4 knows when it’s dark and runs on the backlight for you, making it easy to read at dusk or complete darkness while preserving battery life. Touch the light sensor window anytime with your finger and the display lights up to improve visibility at the back of the stove or when reaching into an oven.
3. Motion-sensing sleep mode. Set your Thermapen Mk4 down during use, it shuts off and sleep mode saves battery life. Pick the Mk4 up, it comes on instantly and stays on while in your hand.
4. Now waterproof to IP67. Improved water resistance against spills and wet kitchens.
5. Battery life extended up to 3,000 hours. Depending on backlight usage, battery life has gone from 1,500 to 3,000 hours. The motion-sensing sleep mode and light-sensing backlight mean fewer battery changes. When you do change the battery, use a common AAA battery.
As with the previous version of the Thermapen, it’s easy-to-use, quick display can accurately measure temperatures from -58° to 572° F within 0.7 of a degree in 3 seconds or less.
Watch this awesome promo video:
Get one here for $99, this price of the previous version.
($93 if you buy 5 or more.)